Saturday, March 6, 2010

Gifts

Blue skies, active herons, Topanga's and then dessert and a movie at home with Bill. Friday late afternoon and evening were as delicious as the fresh blueberries (from Chile) in the centre of a perfect cantaloupe that we have devoured twice this week.

Powerful emotions, hard to describe, surge as I watch the herons prepare their nests.

Bill thought this one looked like a Concorde Airplane.

What do you think?

A couple watched the herons with me, and we talked about their habits. I suspect one could spend a lifetime observing them, and still have unanswered questions, but here is one of the heron sites I looked up this morning. Here is one more. What I have learned is that the male brings the sticks to the nest,

and the female does most of the weaving. In this picture, it seems to me that the male (on the right) is quite interested in the process.

I am not sure about this, but it has been occurring to me recently that the nests at the outer edges of the branches are inhabited by more experienced herons. The male flies in and out more frequently, and the two herons seem to work together more efficiently. I wonder if that is because navigating the branches with those enormous wings is such a challenge.

In this picture, the shadow of the heron is outlined in the wings.

When the nest is deeper into the tree, they land, and then make their way in almost a crawling manner to get to the female. I've noticed that sometimes, it's quite a trick just to get close enough for the female to reach up and grab the stick. (This picture doesn't particularly illustrate that, except to note that the heron has landed, but is not yet close to the nest.)
Just a small stick, but every one counts. I wonder if it was chosen for a specific job.

Earlier in the day, I took this picture by the river in North Vancouver. I have no idea what this is, but admired the delicate tendrils and patterns.

And this beautiful painting by Gill Olson really made my day when she sent it in an e-mail. It was inspired by one of my photos. Having no artistic talent whatsoever, it made me feel great to think I had a small part in her creative process.
Another beautiful day, and I am free to enjoy it. Hope you are too. Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

  1. I love that first picture - the heron looks quite tangled in the trees!
    And what a gifted artist Gill is - thank you for sharing that with us.

    Carol, I have just finished reading "Nature Diary of a Quiet Pedestrian" which is written and beautifully illustrated by Philip Croft, and journals his walks around West Vancouver. It is a wealth of wonderfully written information, illustrated exquisitely - birds, blooms, small animals and sea life. I found it at a thrift store for a buck, and I'd be happy to pass it on to you if you think you would enjoy it. Just send me your mailing address via the contact on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so-o-o much, Jean! I will leave my e-mail here, as I can't access yours because my computer has never been set up properly with an e-mail account since moving. If you just send a one-liner to carolcarson@hotmail.com, I'll be able to reply with my address. I'm really looking forward to reading that book, and will pass it on once finished.

    And yes, Gill is incredibly gifted. I can't wait to see more of her work!

    ReplyDelete