Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Our World Tuesday, week 48

Looking back over my photos for the week, I am remembering snippets of thoughts and conversations that ran through my head as I peered through the lens.  

Hello, pretty dragonfly with gold-lit wings.  Your expression seems to say, "I'm tired," and I see that your tail is drooping.  Thanks for resting a moment.  
The pink lining of your gaping mouth is beginning to fade and you are almost as big as your parent.  I have a feeling the free-meal-deal is almost over.  Better enjoy it while you can.  
 Algae confetti.
Perfect lollipop flower with mauve, blue-tipped spikes.  
Mauve microphone, fuzzy and frayed, please keep the volume low.
 Definitely pink, and against the grey sky, these take my breath away.
 22 of you, so nicely lined up.  Impressive parenting skills.
Is this your favourite bath spot?  
Is it as much fun as it appears to be?
Away you go.  It looks like your friend could ride on your back.
How could I have walked by here so many times and not recognized that you are a bulldozer.  My dad would have liked you.
To blog readers: a good picture of the bulldozer before it began to disintegrate can be seen at this link.  It was quite impressive.  You can also read the text below at that same link.  I really wanted to get my lens through that fence, but it wouldn't fit.  Penelope's recent post showing her photos through a volleyball net brought me back to this moment and made me smile.  We were both fishing for a good shot, but her catch was more successful. 
Bill, striding so long and strong, thank you for taking me to see the Matisse exhibit.  The entire evening is a warm memory.
Lady, you blew between the people standing in front of the museum like a  boldly graceful whirlwind,.  Your expression blends pride, attitude, and a little sadness too. Thank you for circling back so that I could get the photo. 
Hm..  I wonder if I regret that there are some experiences I will never know, except through my camera.
Young man, i enjoyed listening to your conversation with Bill and am glad you wore a helmet. Take care of your mind and body.  They are both precious.
Another case of walking by many times, but seeing for the first time.  Looking through the underside of the Granville dock at low tide, with light playing on the wet, mossy wood, brings back a memory of a box camera.  I don't know where that comes from, but this photo feels right.  A perfect replica of the infinite dancing path my eyes perceived.
The patterns and textures are lovely.  I wish I didn't know they are made up of gasoline and oil mixed with ocean scum and garbage.  Thousands of people from all corners of the earth walk by those fishing boats and yachts at Granville Island.  I am ashamed and sad.   
This is the worst I have ever seen.
Poor cormorant.  Can you not find a cleaner part of the creek?  I worry about you.
A day later and it is all cleaned up.  How was that completed so quickly?  And, who did it?  Will they do it sooner next time?  
The birds and seals (and especially pregnant "Seaweed") will be safer now.  I am as happy today as I was sad yesterday!
Like a rainbow, the flags over the toy shop draw the sun and kids their way. I think of Penelope again.
Hey little seal.  Are you riding on your Mom's back?  i wish it weren't raining.  Could you come closer?
Are you Seaweed?  Did you have your baby?  Or, are you someone new?  I wish I could get a clearer picture.  I hope your baby will be okay.  I'm surprised you came all the way over to "my" side of False Creek by David Lam Park.  
I am grateful for the intricate designs of spider webs, although more so when they are not in my apartment.  The Granville dock is perfect. There are nearly always two or three to admire.
It is fun to pick out a few from many flowers to feature in a photo.
The man-made ponds near False Creek are always pristine.  Gardeners are hired to keep the flowers and greenery in top form.  Do they also keep the water clear?  Maybe they could be hired for the creek too.  It is just across the walking path.
Strands of green combed over a purple background and lengthened by the reflections.
Oh, Mrs. Mallard.  You caught me by surprise, your windmill wings fanned.  
A young goose, I think.  I don't know when you lose that small blue patch in your feathers, but it sure is pretty.
Thanks, Black Jack, for leading me to this community garden just a short distance from Granville Island.  Such a pleasant, new walk.
The bees are loving these bright flowers.
Oh, this one feels like a lollypop too.  A different kind..  maybe fruit flavoured.
Lots of signs of a peaceful community here at the garden.  Again, I feel grateful to Black Jack.  She sometimes finds treasures.
Back again at Granville Island.  Artsy shot, I think.  
I think we may be on the second or third batch of heron chicks at Stanley Park, after many Bald Eagle raids.  Some young are flying, but others..
need a bit more time.  Their eyes are protruding yellow buttons with flat, black centres.
It is good to see siblings that get along.
Maybe another artsy shot?  Thanks, Black Jack.  You led me here when I wanted to walk by.
I see nothing but you know better.
I love driving with Bill.  We're off to Port Moody and just leaving downtown Vancouver when he spots the American Backpackers Hostel.  The sign is quite modest but does the job.  What are you writing, Mr. Man-in-red? Have you been ill?  Or, maybe you are a poet.
Mama osprey, you are beautiful, flying in to your nest with a clump of dirt.  Bill and I have named you Mimi.  I am so excited to learn there is a chick waiting for you, and that s/he may be about 4 weeks old.  We have named your baby Pat for now.  That way, s/he can become Patricia if a girl and Patrick if  a boy.  Bill, I am so happy!  What a great idea you had to come here today!
Thank you for sitting up, Pat.  How wonderful to get a family shot!  From left to right, Mimi, Matt and Pat.
What do you think of all this attention, osprey family?  Are you okay with it?  I like that my big camera seems small in this company.  The man in the light-coloured jacket has three cameras, two on tripods with remotes, and a handheld one for "free" shots.  The man with the tallest tripod has brought along a high stool.  The lady, second from right, has a cart on wheels to carry all her equipment.  Funny, I don't feel embarrassed about my lack of knowledge any more.  I get what I can with my big lens (but no tripod) and enjoy the company.  Bill talks to the photographers, learning tidbits of information that I try to soak up.    
We leave Port Moody and go to Colony Farm.  Not so many birds at this time (around 6:00 p.m.), but amazing flowers.
Lovely mixture of reds and purples.
The light is fading and I realize we will have to come back here again.  There is a beautiful tranquility in the surroundings but the reeds are tall and I haven't found the good spots for catching photos.  I'm not sure but think those are mallards.  I know there is supposed to be a pied-billed grebe family somewhere around.
Are you a Cedar Waxwing?  I wish you could have stayed a little longer.
The landscape, framed by branches, makes even the distant high-rise attractive. 
Bill comments on the birch trees.  A last picture before we head home.  What a day!
It was fun sharing a few of my thoughts and photos.  For other sights from around the world, I hope you will take some time to check out Our World Tuesday.

6 comments:

  1. This was a day of much beauty! I love the picture of the dragon fly, the osprey family and many others!! Thanks for sharing your adventure!! You would have loved our fossil hunting on a beautiful beach today!
    Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Thanks for taking me along on your photo safari. Such gorgeous photos - we really do live in the most beautiful corner of the world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there - more than a few $ worth of stuff on that jetty!

    I really like the mallard shot! It contains so much life.

    Stewart M – Australia

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can easily understand where the expression “keeping your ducks in a row” came from after seeing your picture. All your captures are full of wonder as always. I enjoyed your running commentary and appreciate being mentioned in this post. It is funny how we were both peering through things to capture images from a different angle. I especially like your “box camera” photo framed by the archway beneath a dock. Sometimes looking at the familiar in unfamiliar ways can show how amazing the stuff around us truly is! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So much here, love the flowers and excellent shots of birds, especially good to see the heron and osprey chicks. I like the way you catch the action shots too. Have a great week, the sun's back I think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was a Beautiful day Carol-- thanks for sharing! Love all your birds and beasts and bikes and skaters and oh yes your sweetheart! Very nice pictures all. (I do hope that one experience of the dancers, spinners, whatever they are is an experience you'll only share through photography. I can't quite think you'd enjoy doing it ;>)

    ReplyDelete